Massage Establishment License (ME)
There are 3 categories of Massage Establishment License as follows:
- Exempted ME
- Cat II ME
- Cat I ME & Provisional Cat I ME
With effect from 2012, new massage establishment licensing rules require all new applicants for Category I Massage Establishment (Cat I ME) and Provisional Cat I ME licenses to have at least 80% of therapists who have WSQ or other recognized qualifications and Category II Massage Establishment (Cat II ME) applicants to have at least 80% with effect from 2015.
Cat I ME may be granted more conditions such as:
- Admission of clients regardless of their age;
- Unrestricted operating hours;
- Serving of alcohol; and
- Employment of foreign masseuses/therapists.
Criteria for Grant of License
To be eligible for a Massage Establishment licence, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a fit and proper person. The criteria and requirements for a person to be considered fit and proper to hold a licence are (but not limited to) whether the relevant person has honesty, integrity, a good reputation, competence and capability. For more details, you may click on the following link: Guidelines for considering whether a person is fit and proper to hold a licence under the Massage Establishments Act 2017
- Be a responsible officer as defined in section 2(1) of Massage Establishments Act 2017*
- At least 21 years of age at time of application
- Possess a valid and relevant work pass if you are a foreigner
Suitability of Location
Existence of Massage Establishments in the vicinity of a proposed location is not an indication that your application would be automatically approved as other factors such as the law and order situation of the location will be taken into consideration when assessing the application. You may click on this portal which serves only as a general guide for potential applicants to check if the premises falls within an area where new massage establishments may be considered.
All Massage Establishments licensees will have to abide by the following provisions under the Massage Establishments Rules.
Please refer to link for an Overview of Massage Establishments.
For more information, please visit here.
For more information about certified courses, pelase visit here